Would you like to be an integral part of a project that helps protect unique animal species in a beautiful natural environment? The Minnekhada Park Association (MPA) is looking for an individual to assist with our conservation efforts, mainly with helping to co-ordinate construction of an innovative “bat condo” within the Minnekhada Regional Park property. This structure, when complete, will help provide a long term, secure home to hundreds of bats, including some that are very unique to this area.
This role will work under the direction of the overall Project Lead, with input from the Designer and the General Contractor and will assist with, and monitor, the overall construction of the structure. This role will also be responsible for coordinating and training volunteers from our volunteer base and/or some community volunteer recruitment.
With the right person, this role has the potential to expand into assisting with conservation and educational outreach activities on an ongoing, part-time basis.
The ideal candidate will have awesome people skills, is a great listener, is passionate about wildlife, safety focused and is not afraid to “roll up their sleeves” and assist where needed in an outdoor, all weather environment. Note this project will progress through the fall and early winter months.
Summary of Role:
- Be on site during the construction period
- Assist General Contractor with construction
- Co-ordinate schedules and activities of volunteers associated with the project, both on site and
- Ensure volunteers needs are met
- Ensure everyone is aware of, and working within, recognized safety standards, including social
- distancing, wildlife awareness and emergency plan
- Report back to Project Lead on progress, issues and opportunities
- Keep track of expenses and document progress against project plan
- Reliable transport to and from site (NE Coquitlam) and elsewhere
- Great communication skills, including active listening and team coordination
- Eligibility for BC WorkSafe coverage
- Computer skills; Excel, Word, email, messaging, etc.
- A basic understanding of construction techniques and related tools
- Passionate about wildlife conversation/ecology/biology
- Experience with coordinating volunteers
- Construction experience
- Competent and confident with power tools and equipment
- Valid First Aid certification
Compensation: $18 per hour. Estimated total hours 250 to 350 with possibility of extension.
Please email your resume to email@example.com and tell us why you are the ideal person for this role.