The Burrard Inlet Marine Enhancement Society is posting a part-time Environmental Educator position for the 2020-2021 school year.
Our interpreter will share curriculum-linked activities and content with small groups of mainly middle school level students, primarily during mid-September to mid-November and mid-March to mid-June.
With the help of program material already established, they will connect learners with nature through games, journaling activities and short but always serendipitous forest walks along short trails adjacent to the hatchery building. Within the hatchery facility and at the nearby creek, learners will gain understanding of the life cycle of salmon and the work associated with their enhancement. Hands-on experiences with native plants and aquatic insects are core to raising awareness of the connections within the watershed.
Most learning experiences will occur outdoors and with close attention to safe distancing. An outdoor, open-walled tent area makes it feasible to carry on activities even in inclement weather.
The ideal candidate will be
- an experienced teacher or interpreter
- enthusiastic about the natural world
- skilled at sharing that excitement with young learners
- experienced in working safely with young people in a field setting
- knowledgeable about native plants and animals
- able to adapt activities to BC curriculum
- a good verbal and written communicator
- creative and able to seize the moment
- computer competent
- certified in basic First Aid
- vetted with a current police check
Morning groups go from 9 am-12 noon and afternoon groups from 1-4 pm. Students will be dropped off and picked up by parents/caregivers.
Contract length: 12 months
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Application deadline: August 31, 2020
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $30.00 to $35.00 /hour